Old 21st March 2021, 14:09   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Think of it this way;

you rent a service, and stop paying for this rental, you no longer have access to this service.

The service though is not access to the programming, but rather the access to the software that operates the programming, ie video footage. Let's call this MPEG4BT.

All the video is downloaded in MPEG4BT format and is available to view whilst you pay for the licensing of the MPEG4BT software.

The Youview box has firmware or an operating system. It seeks permissions to operate the software via BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc (ie checks that you have paid for the bill/subscription). This used to be governed via a card, but I believe it is software driven now. This permission is not forthcoming, so blocks access to the software to play the footage stored on the hard drive.

It is a similar business model that some software companies use now to protect copyright (Adobe, MS Office etc).

I realise that it looks like you have a failed/faulty service rather than a cancelled subscription, but the principle would still apply for certain faults.

ok that makes sense, wtf the BT naughty word could not have explained it in that sort of way. I now feel ripped off, I paid once and now need to pay again. I would have thought paying at the outset the check would be done to make sure I am entitled to record.
I will have to see if there is anything in the terms and conditions but I will probably find them so hard to read I'll give up.

Appreciate an explanation I can understand. Thank you

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote