View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:39   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
you do have the 'right' to record, but only for personal use, and record only using BT's software. BT will have paid royalties to the original program makers/broadcasters, and they will transfer some of those albeit limited rights based upon what their (BT) rights and conditions were.

These no doubt would have had some kind of proviso that the end user (you) could not easily download (record), to keep, or distribute elsewhere. This is where the software (MPEG4BT) would come in.

BT (sky etc) own the rights to the software the programs play on, Universal (or BBC etc) own the copyright to the film/program, and you own the right to use the equipment whilst you pay for that use. It would be unreasonable to expect the end user to store a film to watch a long time later - I would suggest a month would be a reasonable amount of time.

I am sure you could obtain a program (they are called codecs, and or containers, but to keep it straightforward, call it a program) to play it, or a converter to play it. Then you could remove the hard drive from the YouView box and plug it into a computer. I have done this with a Sky box, and could see the programs that were recorded, but nothing would play them. I never looked into it though.

By doing it this way, it gives the supplier (BT, Sky etc) the ability to control the content and satisfy the original copyright holders. Also a little leverage for them to 'hold' onto you as a customer.

Incidentally, once you stop paying Sky (and TalkTalk) for their service, whilst you can watch basic service, you can no longer record.
everyone has been paid, I paid BT, they paid royalties etc etc.
As far as I m concerned I paid to record the program and store it. I should not be time limited to when I watch it.
Why do you think unreasonable to store for a long time, I paid for it? I want to watch stuff that I recorded a year ago as I now have the time.
What if I want to take the set top box on holiday and watch stuff I recorded while I am away?

Hopefully next week I will be able to watch it as I will be connected to BT broadband and I do have a package with them. If I cant then rightly or wrongly I will complain to BT and not some knob in a call centre. I have nothing to lose by complaining

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote