Old 15th November 2016, 18:30   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/three-...XF2v9bJJCVU.99

So many times lately I have seen caravans and trailers overturned whilst been towed by larger vehicles, such as 4x4's and large vans

Also still amazed that whilst driving a coach at a limit of 62 mph how many vehicles that are towing seem to 'sail' past me at speed, people really do need to understand that when towing you have a legal obligation to be aware of your 'new' speed limits.... so when on a Motorway you are no longer permitted to travel at 70 mph, but a max of 60 mph

Also due to the vehicle now been restricted to a maximum of 60 mph you are not permitted to use the Outside lane (nearest central reservation) on a Motorway that has three or more lanes.

I know most on here will already know this, but it does no harm in repeating this information for those that are maybe new to towing.
Good post Keith, I think coach and wagon drivers like us notice it more, because when driving for a job, we are particularly aware of the restrictions.
. I have commented so many times to the Mrs when we have had our van in tow,about the amount of caravaners that flout the law and take risks. I did the towing course through the caravan club when we first got ours, just to brush up my towing skills, having towed bike trailers and farm trailers in the past,but never a caravan,also to get a discount on the first year of insurance. Whilst on the course, the instructor showed a video of what happens when a caravan is towed at an excess speed. It was "dancing ,bouncing from one side to another before it eventually became unbalanced and flipped over, it was destroyed in seconds. So amy times on the motorways and dual carriageways, you see 4x4s and large estate cars zooming past at 70+, even in wet and poor visibility conditions, a few times I have hung right back after being overtaken like this and seen the caravan swaying a bit.
The instructor said to us" just because its possible to tow at 70, its not safe, caravans weren't designed to be driven at 70, that's why they are restricted".

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I thought was only for people that had passed their test post 1997?
Its if your gross train weight (car and trailer loaded) exceeds 3500 kgs, IIRC, that you need to take the test. Same thing if driving a van over 3500 kgs, you need to take a test for a 7.5 ton lorry.

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd February 2017 at 23:37.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote