View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:12   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hya Paul. It's hard to guess what's happened, but in my experience, the UV sealant needs to fully cure before exposure to wet weather. I suspect that's the crux of the problem. The current weather conditions (cold and damp) aren't very conducive to obtaining a fully dried/cured film. It sounds like the finish here is a water-based formula, so the effect of rain on the uncured film is to re-dissolve it.

As to removing the now damaged finish, I suspect you'll have more work ahead. I suppose it might remove completely using hot water and a detergent. Maybe try it on a small area first. If that makes things worse, I think you'll have to let it cure fully and re-start from square one.

I'd recommend using a separate finisher laquer from the type that often comes with the sanding kits. These seem little more than a wet wipe. You can get aerosol applied UV laquers which are non-aqueous but do require reasonably warm and dry conditions to fully harden. Always read the instructions. This is the stuff I used around eighteen months ago and so far so good.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd March 2021 at 18:14..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote