Richy
Loves to post

Contempory V6 2.5 Tourer

Default Car is famous but for wrong reason

An update on my car being stolen
The front page of my local paper
Community football pitch left damaged after thieves torch car

< Previous 1 2 Next >

FIRE DAMAGE: Fairplay Football programme leader Pete Woodcock surveys the damage after a stolen car was driven around Parkwood Field wrecking goalposts, then set alight. Pictures: Carl Gac

A FOOTBALL pitch used by hundreds of children has been scarred after a stolen car was driven onto it before being set alight.
Fire crews and police were called to Parkwood Field in Scunthorpe, after thieves drove a blue MG ZT into goalposts before setting fire to it on the pitch.
Police have since confirmed the car's keys were stolen during a burglary in Scunthorpe.
Pete Woodcock, who has run the Fairplay Football programme for youngsters in the area since September 2008, said he was shocked by the incident.
He said: "I was horrified to see one of the goalposts flattened, with the metal posts twisted and bent.
"I went outside and found the other goal had been wrecked too and there was a burnt out car abandoned in the middle of the pitch."
Mr Woodcock, who is also chairman of Parkwood Trinity Football Club, added: "This football pitch was so important for the youngsters in the community.
"Kids aged from 4 to 18 use this field and it is devastating to have the goals ruined.
"Football gets youngsters together in the community, and prevents them getting into trouble."
An elderly neighbour, who did not wish to be named, saw the fire from her house.
She said: "Looking out of my window I saw flames coming from the car – I've never witnessed anything like it in all my time living here.
"The people who have done this are maniacs.
"They have destroyed something that brought so much joy to so many people."
Now Mr Woodcock will have to raise money for new goals, as the ones destroyed were paid for by him and the club.
He said: "The club scrimped and saved and spent nearly £1,000 on them. Now we're going to have to fork out another £1,000 to get them replaced.
"I might talk to the Football Association about our situation, to see if it can help in some way.
"Hundreds of kids play in these goals before and after school and at weekends and to have them vandalised beyond repair is terrible."
A crew was dispatched from Scunthorpe Fire Station to the scene at 5am on Tuesday morning. Police also attended.
A police spokeswoman said: "This incident relates to a burglary at a property in Scunthorpe, that happened between 2.30am and 3.30am on Tuesday, January 11, when thieves stole keys from inside the address and stole a blue coloured MG ZT from the driveway of the address.
"The vehicle was later found burnt out.
"The vehicle had caused damage to goal posts on the Parkwood Junior School Field."
Anyone with information in connection with the incident is asked to call 0845 6060222 quoting crime reference 1806967."

Last edited by Reebs; 15th January 2011 at 22:53.. Reason: Member's address removed for security reasons
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote