Thread: Clutch woes
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2022, 18:58   #1
Prelude91
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Clutch woes

Guys, just thought I would share with you my recent experiences regards my ‘03 manual diesel estate. Some two months ago I started the car as normal, but the clutch pedal went to the floor and I could not engage any gear. After pumping the pedal the clutch pedal gained pressure and the ‘box engaged gears and drove as normal, for a couple of days. The problem subsequently reappeared, so I booked the car into my local garage for inspection / rectification. They found no obvious signs of fluid leakage so bled the system but noting that the fluid level had not dropped since the cars last visit to them. Several weeks later, the same issue arose, pedal to floor, unable to engage gears. The garage, again could not find any signs of leakage and replaced the master cylinder as a matter of course to eliminate it as the source of the problem. Over Christmas, the same issue reappeared. The garage is now advising me that the next step would be to drop the gearbox and replace the slave cylinder, clutch plate and or the DMF all dependant on what they discover on removal. The obvious issue at this stage is around costs. They have advised me that the cost of replacement parts may be around the 800 to 1000 quid mark. Thus far the cost of replacement parts and labour has amounted to approx 350 quid. I have been using this particular garage for over 20 years and trust their skills implicitly, albeit that they have rarely worked on 75’s and even then, mainly autos. The vehicle has now done over 200k and cost me 1300 quid some 6 years ago. Firstly do any of you guys had a similar experience, and therefore be able to help me regards fault diagnosis to establish costs before committing to opening a can of worms potentially? Alternatively, do I call it quits, and bite the bullet and buy another car with the proceeds of the potential clutch replacement.
Prelude91 is offline   Reply With Quote