View Single Post
Old 5th March 2019, 16:17   #13
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

As someone has previously remarked I felt it necessary to reply ... I didn't buy my 75 because it fell into the nice cheap affordable motor category, there are endless choices along those lines, I chose the 75 purely because I liked the overall lines, the fit 'n' finish, the spec, the drive train and so on.
Price or affordability didn't come into the equation when choosing a used car.
Over the years I have had a few brand new cars, each and every one I picked because I liked it based on how it looked and performed and generally looked to the motoring journals for it to be 'rubber stamped' as a good buy.
The problem I have with new cars is this ... none of them excite me in the way my Capri 2.8 special, Sapphire Cosworth, RS 2000 mk2 did at the time. There really is nothing under £30,000 that I would consider spending my hard earned on, sure ... the modern car is loaded with tech and creature comforts and ticks a lot of boxes for the modern buyer but for me ... they just fall into a kind of 'grey' area for choice, imo most modern Euroboxes could wear any badge and most buyers would be none the wiser! When I owned an 94 XJ6 it always got admiring glances because it was instantly recognisable as a Jaguar, the modern Jags need to be pointed out, they are just not individual enough imo.
I suppose it also has a lot to do with the fact that I like to tinker with cars and their mechanicals, it's a deep rooted hobby of mine and modern cars just don't allow you to do it.
If all I had to do to my car was wash it and drive it ... I think I would be very bored with motoring in general.
This is all Just my opinion on modern motoring which counts for nothing here but ... the 60's 70's 80's and 90's imo were the best decades for motoring and choice of chariot and I was so lucky to be a part of it and now it's just all blurring into insignificance.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote