View Single Post
Old 5th September 2020, 11:41   #10
Grizzlyman

Rover 75

I vote to keep the 75.

I was in a similar situation to you, had to get rid of my 75 due to an injury I could no longer operate the heavy clutch.

Looked around in price brackets from £2K-£7K, only thing I could find that was remotely appealing was the Jaguar XF. Then did a lot of reading up on them, forum research for common problems, etc. Couldn’t even guarantee that after spending a decent £6k on one that I wouldn’t still have years of potential problems ahead.

Ended up buying another 75, automatic this time, for £721 on eBay. I’m budgeting £1500-2000 for getting her back to mint condition.

I know I’ll be happier with an older car that I bought for cheap and spend a reasonable amount sorting all the problems, rather than spending more on a car and potentially still getting problems that I won’t be able to afford to fix.

A well sorted 75 for under £3K that I KNOW has had all the problems addressed is worth more to me than a newer car with problems I wouldn’t know about or be able to afford to fix.

But... I’m buying knowing that I’m never going to sell it on, so it’s a rest-of-my-life car/investment...

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Grizzlyman is offline   Reply With Quote