View Single Post
Old 7th April 2022, 19:34   #47
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
... going by your comment you drive pretty well to the old methods. Does that mean that when changing down you blip the throttle to synchronise the engine/gearbox and road speed?
Hi Steve,

I would do that if I was changing down without braking because I wanted better vehicle control or was anticipating brisk acceleration. Conversely, if I was braking I wouldn't blip the throttle as I'm seeking to use engine braking to assist my retardation.
Quote:
The advantages are: Your foot is in the right place (over the brake) for a slowing moving hazard and secondly, once the other car accelerates past the junction you can then select the appropriate gear.
I don't see that as an advantage of the modern teaching method. My foot will be in the right place (over the brake) but crucially I will already be in the appropriate gear when the other car accelerates past the junction whilst you will be engaged in a thought process of what to do next.
Quote:
My thought process would be, why has the driver changed his mind and also, does that mean that they will slow down and turn into the next road or premises.
That's a good point Steve. The driver changed his/her mind because the road on the right was not the route required after all. We've all done it haven't we. I absolutely agree that I should then be anticipating a further attempt to turn right and so I should not accelerate quickly. However that is no reason NOT to change down through the gearbox! I am in the correct gear for maximum vehicle control so I am ready to both come to a standstill (if the driver in front turns right) or to continue under controlled acceleration (if the other driver does likewise). It seems to me that the modern method would place me in a situation of complete indecision until the scenario plays out in front of me. With the traditional method I am already prepared for whatever may happen.

The modern world does not appreciate that some things work well because they are the best way of dealing with a situation that has been correctly assessed and no changes are desirable or necessary.

Simon