View Single Post
Old 8th April 2022, 23:36   #49
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
I'm one of these useless drivers in the teaching trade and quite frankly I find your comment insulting and unnecessary.
I was certified by the then Bus and Coach council as a PSV instructor. My on road assessment was marked as excellent, my on road teaching assessment was also marked as excellent. In the theoretical tests I was the 1st candidate to score 100%. I was also elected as a commercial member of the IAM and trained other drivers to IAM standards and achieved a 100% pass rate for the IAM test. Furthermore I have my C&G in PSV driving instruction.
Over the years I have also attended many courses to maintain, improve and update my skills.
I think it fair to say that after a successful driver training career lasting some 30 years that although I've never obtained the accolade of being a perfect driver or trainer, I have in that time helped many people learn how to drive to very high standards. What I and any other trainer cannot do is dictate how people will drive in the future.
I can only speak from my own experience Stephen. We get ‘learners ‘ being taught to drive outside our house. They use the grove opposite to reverse into .Where my computer is, upstairs, I used to sometimes watch these learners reversing.Can you tell me why twice I have seen different cars reversing round the entrance to the grove, and they have been allowed to mount the gutter on the drivers side, one nearly hitting the wall around the garden. Can you also explain to me why, when I had pulled up behind a learner that was to all intents and purposes parked at the side of the road. I was not right in line but sticking out about halfway behind it because there are parked cars in the road, with my right hand indicator flashing, waiting for the car that was coming down the road towards me, before checking in my mirror and pulling out once the car had gone past. As I started to pull out, with no signal from the learners car, it began pulling out in front of me. He pulled out and stopped by the side of the car in front of it. I sat there for a bit, and then I sounded my horn to attract their attention, and I was signalled to pull out and go round the learner. How I was going to do that when there was not enough room to get past because of the width of the road? In the end I had to get out and went to the passenger side and asked the so called teacher how I was going to get past, and why did you not teach the learner driver to use his mirror before moving off. The answer was ‘well he probably did not see you were there’. The ‘teacher’ told me he would take my number and report me to the DVLA for ‘disrupting a learner driver during his driving test’. I said ‘good, because I have it on camera if you care to look at the front windscreen’. I took the number of the car, and reported him to the company that was denoted on the car. Never had a reply, and never had any communication from the DVLA. I could give you a few more incidents I have observed, including one accident when the learner did not stop properly at cross road. I don’t say all teachers are as useless, but believe me, I could almost write a book. By the way, are all cars that are owned by Teaching Establishments supposed to have dual control pedals?