View Single Post
Old 16th April 2018, 16:02   #29
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Simon you are going away off on a tangent with this one. I would suggest that you forget or erase the mark you have made on the pulley and use the small notch provided by Powertrain on the outside of the crank pulley which is currently sitting at between 8-9 o'clock.

As I have found out before the bubble mark on the oil pump is irrelevant.

You cannot be in the correct flwheel pin location. Fit the pulley back on, and turn the engine over to align the outer mark with the safe point and then try inserting the timing pin in the flywheel hole by turning the engine back and forth slightly to get it to engage and lock the engine.
Of course he can, and he is!
The outer mark is of no consequence at all. It is just there to help align the safe position.
The real points to concentrate on is the one on the small geared pulley in front. Get that on the mark, and you are in safe, where the pin can be inserted. Then align the marks on the back sprockets in straight lines each side, and the engine is timed!

And the 2mm you can move the assembly, is fine for aligning all, but once in motion of no consequence, as the assembly only turns one way, so the "slack" is taken up in the movement.
Don't confuse the issue

Last edited by kaiser; 16th April 2018 at 16:05.. Reason: "h"
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote