View Single Post
Old 5th November 2021, 16:06   #13065
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Finally the ZT-T190 I had shipped from Germany is road legal and in use.
I bought the car from Karl in Westphalia in early June on the recommendation of Pim Appel. The sale was straightforward but the shipping process was complex, partly due to the current shipping crisis and container shortage.
There was a 2 month delay in Rotterdam, caused mainly when the fellow who was supposed to share a 40 foot container with me stalled and eventually dropped out forcing me to go solo on a 20 foot container at an additional 2500 euro cost The container travelled by ship to Montreal then train to Vancouver where it was unloaded and delivered to me.
Then came the work of getting it registered for British Columbia. The car breezed through the safety test with no issues. All that was required was activating the DRLs (using TOAF) and fitting side reflectors and number plate mounts for the North American size plates.
The paperwork turned out to be a huge pain. The licensing agent didn't care for my translation of the German documents and insisted on a certified translation which cost $300. and took 2 weeks, and the whole process ground to a halt when the car didn't appear on the Imported Vehicle Registry. It turns out that the freight forwarder and missed a letter when entering the vin so the agent was searching the wrong number. I will never use that forwarder again. (Not just due to the number, but just "Didn't give a darn, poor service") Once that was sorted registration went smoothly and number plates were issued. Four and a half months!
I have since swapped the EBC brakes, K&N filter and a few other bits and pieces over from my destroyed 190, including my dash cam, and plan to send the instrument panel to Rick-Sta for a new IPK. The IPK is really the only issue with the car. The underside is immaculate with only a bit of rust on one rear upper arm which I will replace in the spring. The top-side is also in great shape and will only need a good polish after it's long journey, and the interior is immaculate as well. Next up is an oil change and swapping over my poly bushed lower engine mount followed by a precautionary timing belt/water pump/thermostat change over the winter. Fun and games!
In the meantime I'm happily driving the ZT-T in the awful rainy autumn weather.
The photo shows the car on the road to the US border a couple of km from my home.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 5th November 2021 at 16:11..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote