View Single Post
Old 18th September 2011, 01:53   #9
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Exclamation CDTi Fuel Pumps / long winded explanation !

Yes. the pump is different.
I looked at the cost of converting from 2 pumps to one but it was totally uneconomic.
It seems to be horses for courses with low fuel/pump failure with a number of members saying they regularly go down to the light without problems but the majority do seem to be more likely to have pump failure jf run much below a quarter of a tank.
As I have frequently repeated, I added Millers DPP to every tank from new & never went below a quarter. I even started adding 2 stroke oil for add. pump lubrication. However, after 8 years (40,000 miles) I did have occasion to run down to the fuel light, only travelling some 6 miles to fill up.
MY I/T PUMP IMMEDIATLY FAILED
The U/B pump operated faultlessly for the 20-30 miles before I/T pump was replaced. (though after 3 RAC call outs and a number of no starts at home, which seemed to resolve themselves by waiting, the U/B pump also failed at 46,000 miles, finally stranding me until the RAC came and tapped the pump. (something I should have remembered myself !)
MORAL OF THE STORY:- If your diesel fails to start, first check I/T pump is working then check U/B pump is ok and tapping if necessary. Very easy, very quick and costs nothing.
Car will run ok for some time with U/B pump only, if sufficient fuel in tank, probably half a tank or more.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote