View Single Post
Old 13th December 2010, 07:44   #505
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_i_m View Post
I would be very wary removing the old stat completely I imagine it will also be acting a flow restrictor to create the correct pressure in the block which is why the thermostat is positioned where it is.
If you are going to remove the old 'stat completely then you might as well fit an OEM on as a replacement. The effort involved would be the same and they even cost a little less than the in-line version!
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_i_m View Post
I had 82-84deg on a 20 mile dual carriageway run this morning, it went upto 88deg up a hill when the stat clearly opened and dropped to 86deg (load was increasing at the time). After reaching 'full' temperature and everything fully warmed up I saw 87 deg a few times even at slower speeds.

Overall its an improvement for me but like Jules says its not as effective as replacing the OEM stat.
It sounds as if you are running a few degrees cooler than the Chevy 'stat as I know that mine opens (using the dash OBD) when it hits 92°C and but more often it sits @87°C. I really recommend that someone with these 88°C 'stats trys fitting one that is designed to open a little later if they want to run a few degrees hotter all the time.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote