View Single Post
Old 18th March 2021, 15:45   #20
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Agree with Trikey - definitely get a second opinion (or possibly more).

I spent the best part of 12 months trying to diagnose a knocking noise on my KV6 and had a number of differing opinions, ranging from main bearing failure to "they all do that, ignore it" and everything in between. All from experienced MG Rover mechanics. Even the best experienced mechanics can be mistaken.

Cliff
Cheers Cliff

They also said it was blowing out loads of white smoke and coupled with the mayo/ chocolate sauce on the dipstick came to the conclusion that HGF was favourite with added issue of the noise reminding them of past warped engines. It would be false economy to repair the head gasket they said ( fair enough I suppose)

Any suggestion for a reputable garage near Manchester or the north west for a second opinion

Also having driven it home from the garage its still pulls well, seems fairly quiet to my untrained ears but does have a a sort of growl when accelerating and what I would describe as very mild piston slap/rattle when idling and when first started.

Not the sound I'd expect from a warped engine so, apart from my own ears, is there anything else I can do myself in the meantime.

Stocktake has suggested bypassing the oil cooler in case it that so, that my first job but is there anything else I should be doing ( DIY compression tester perhaps)

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by paulh260260; 18th March 2021 at 15:53.. Reason: extra info
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote