View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 10:37   #73
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I expect that they were attached before the spring was fitted so supplied to MGR as part of the strut assembly.

That's one of those things that sounds fine in theory but is rather different in practice. The reason is that a dangling anti-roll bar link prevents the strut being held securely in the vise to compress the spring.

Simon
You missed a trick there Simon. You can actually secure the strut in the vice with the drop link mount facing towards you , easily fit the drop link , torque it to 60nm with a socket then fit the spring . Job done.
It really is that simple Simon, You will have to list it in your lessons learned for next time.
If I change a spring I usually remove/grease and refit the drop link to ensure easier removal should they need changing

Fitting a drop link on the car is more awkward, as others have said cutting thread off makes this achievable and providing it clears the locknut is an acceptable practice. As for tightness providing the tension is within the elastic limit of the bolt torque is not critical , again an acceptable practice To most people they are a fit and forget until they start rattling again with a worn out ball due to either lack of grease or poor manufacture

Last edited by TourerSteve; 12th May 2021 at 10:45..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote