Old 8th October 2018, 17:02   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsan330 View Post
The temp gauge drops to zero when the fan comes on
That's a pretty good indicator that the sensor signal is lost. This causes the ECU to trip on the emergency cooling - hence the fan roaring when the engine's not in overheat. I suspect the 128C diagnostics reading is part of that response.

Quote:
...I then wait 5 mins start the car and every thing is back to normal the gauge always returns to half way.
I'd suggest that's either a meachanical effect on a weak connection due to the engine vibrations at startup. Or, the sensor itself is failing. Though that's pretty rare, I guess it can happen.

Quote:
would you suggest I start by changing this.
Why not - it won't dent your wallet and may cut a long story short.

Quote:
Regarding the water level I always check the water level every morning before i drive...sometimes it needs topping up but I cant see any visible leaks..its had a compression test and new inlet manifold gasket.
There's definitely a small leak somewhere. Internal or external, they're pretty common in this engine.

EDIT: You'll need to run the Demist Test for low speed fan operation once you get the signal issue fixed. We haven't confirmed that the low speed resistor is OK.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 8th October 2018 at 17:07..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote