View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:39   #17
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

Things moving slowly at the moment. All necessary parts received, so that will not stop my progress now. I have used some time to remove the valves from the cylinder head, cleaned it up and have now had a round lapping in the valves. I have spent some time on each valve, starting with coarse grinding compound, and then fine compound. The valve has a nice grey ring around, but are struggling to get the seats completely clean. I am not sure that this is good enough or not... Seems not to get better with more work either. I am tempted to put all the valves back in and do a leak test the "WD40" way. If they dont leak, then complete the cylinder head.

Then, there is another question raised. Are there any guidance regarding fire ring indentation on the cylinder head? Both cylinder heads I have available has a slightly indentation on the exhaust side. Both was removed from running engines after approx 25000 and 36000 miles. Both heads was skimmed before that and mounted in a configuration with head saver shim. Seems to me that you get indentation whatever you do.. So whats the "limits"?? Both cylinder heads have been skimmed below the factory limit, so will not do another skim as I probably will get new indentations anyway.

Starting to get in doubt about these cylinder heads.... and it also seems to be hard to get a good known used one.

beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote