Thread: Wishbone Help
View Single Post
Old 15th June 2021, 06:52   #96
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I always torque my wheel bolts as I've seen the results of not doing so in my job.

If you're lucky , you won't be able to undo them leaving you stuck at the roadside with your shredded tyre ! If you're unlucky, you'll find your car blocking the A1 with your wheel bouncing down the carriageway and the bolts snapped flush in the hub and substantial bodywork damage !

Notice your experience's appear to centre around gross over tightening not bolts coming loose !, (often a result of an over enthusiastic tyre fitter with a windy gun)
By hand People without torque wrenches tend to tighten things as tight as they can rather than by feel .
Car wheel centres usually match and mate to the hub spigot taking lot of load off the bolts , so once tightened sufficiently usually don't come loose . Trailers and caravans a different issue as wheels often don't mate to the hub spigot and carry all the load on the bolts , These have a lot more potential to come loose.
Usually torque wheel bolts initially when I fit the wheels but often just recheck them for tightness with a socket and bar If I ever have to change a wheel out on the road I am confident at refitting just with a socket and bar and wont lose any sleep over it .
Usually recheck the car once after refitting ( certainly if somebody else has fitted the wheels ) but religiously check the caravan every time I take it out !

Last edited by TourerSteve; 15th June 2021 at 06:59..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote