View Single Post
Old 13th April 2010, 20:11   #2
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Silicone Failure

LOWEDB, I have had complete 'Silicon failures ' on THREE 75s! Like you the Silicone had stuck extremely well to the paintwork but NONE of it had adhered to the actual door finishers. After the first car failure I roughed up the backs of the finishers but the result was exactly the same, the finishers could be prised from the doors with a tug of the fingernails. I lost one finisher because it fell off on my drive and the postman trod on it so have bought a fresh set from Crofts. In the meantime I have fitted one unit with double sided tape and two units with a 'Mirror Adhesive' kindly supplied by a fellow member. These three, having been edge sealed with Silicone, appear to be securely stuck. I wonder if there is some problem with Silicone and the metal door finishers as opposed to the original plastic type such as different expansion rates or whatever? I not only roughed up the backs of the finishers but also used surgical spirit and cellulose thinners on them too but they still failed.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote