View Single Post
Old 20th June 2019, 23:14   #21
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I know it's the glass 'fretting' in the channel, as I've done this to death on my own car, I've had all four door seals out, tried everything from loosening the two lower pinch bolts on the regulator, bending the top of the door, adjusting the door hinges, packing it with rubber, sticking felt tape on the rubber, you name it. It's basically caused by the glass moving a tiny amount (like less than a milimetre) whilst it sits in the rubber, and it sounds like a very faint creaking rattle (a strange sound to describe), it's not loud, but once you notice it in an otherwise quiet car it's NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- annoying. I've stripped my entire car and loaded it with additional sound deadening (even the roof and wheel arch liners have a deadening coating and closed-cell foam), it's one of the quietest cars I've ever been in whilst crusing at 50mph on a smooth road. But the windows are the only thing that you can faintly hear.

Silicone makes it worse, everytime, in fact I can tell if the car wash uses silicone-based car polish from the noise of the windows for a few weeks after.

The only thing that reduces it is as I've said, and as BMW recommended. But it doesn't go away completely, and will slowly come back again.

I just wished they flocked the glass channel rubbers as most manufacturers do. They obviously skipped it to save a few quid, although as mentioned most BMWs of the era didn't either, so it just obviously wasn't one of their engineering standards at the time. I might get some second-hand rubbers, mask them up, and apply some rubber adhesive and get hold of a flocking machine and give it a go one day.

A flocked rubber channel. ^^

Last edited by neilbaker86; 20th June 2019 at 23:27..
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote