View Single Post
Old 21st January 2018, 08:39   #1
Alex79

Rover 75 Saloon

Default At a bit of a crossroads

To cut to the chase, I have just ordered a 61 plate Mazda 6 petrol hatch (22k from new) from the Mazda dealer where I used to work. This is to give us a modern family car (second child due in June). Our Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE in Atlantic Blue, reg number W864 DDO, is to be part exchanged as part of the deal at a stand in value of £250. We are due to swap the car on Wednesday afternoon.

I would love to keep the car which is in very good condition, except beginning to show corrosion on the OSF wing, NSR wing and trailing edge of both sills. However, we already have an MGB, a Focus ST 2.5 in orange (both now garage queens) and a 13 plate focus hatch. Therefore keeping the car is a 'luxury' in terms of space/tax/insurance etc.

However, as it has been in the family from new and has been an excellent car, I am not sure that I can face getting rid of it, knowing it will just be traded on and become sombodies old banger!

Therefore I have the option of keeping it, declaring SORN and keeping the car at my wife's parent's farm, storing it until I can find someone to sort the corrosion to a good standard (Tom near Derby sounds a good option) and then hopefully being able to insure it as a modern classic and put it back on the road (it is mechanically excellent). If I did this, could someone please advise on:
The best way to store it (in a barn but dust and rodents could be an issue).
If it is genuinely possible to get a Rover 75 on a modern classic policy?
Once re-conditioned, there are places I could store the car near where I live.

Alternatively, if anyone is local to me (Louth, Lincolnshire) and genuinely interested in an additional 75 for their 'collection' then please let me know. I would much rather the car go this way than be sold in the trade! I appreciate this does not give people much time!
Alex79 is offline   Reply With Quote