View Single Post
Old 17th January 2020, 07:45   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Headlight polishing update

In August of 2019, I decided to carry out some long term experiments to solve the issues with my MkII's opaque headlight lenses. https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...highlight=lens

To test my theory I scrounged a gash Mk I lens from a local member. Idea was to try ordinary clear coat lacquer on on of the lenses on my Mk II and on the donated MK I lens, the latter being left out in the full sun and weather for a test period to see what developed. My Mk II spends much of its time in my garage, so hardly a fair test of deterioration.

I began by thoroughly abrading both headlights down to bare polycarbonate, with course wet and dry, until I was certain all the original coating was gone, then polished them back up, with finer and finer grades of wet and dry, finishing off with a metal polish, before washing thoroughly.

That, I followed with several coats of my clear coat aerosol. My finish proved a little disappointing, in that marks in the form of what looked like cracks appeared in the coating on both lenses.

I managed to polish the worst of the lines out, before finishing with metal polish. Too the good - neither lens has shown any deterioration at all in the 6 months since I did them.

When I have simply polished them up without any coating, the have deteriorated almost before my eyes in just weeks - so I'm that a successful experiment.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote