Thread: In a dilemma
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2021, 22:49   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Car failed MOT recently. Cracking car, drives lovely. It’s been the daily for the last eighteen months since purchase.

MOT has failed on -

- Offside rear broken spring
- Nearside front wheel bearing rough when rotated
- Offside front shock absorber has serious leak
- Offside front track rod end ball joint has excessive play

Advisories are -

- Offside front wheel bearing slightly noisy
- Nearside rear upper suspension arm corroded
- Offside rear upper suspension arm corroded
- Rear sub frame corroded
- Nearside front tyre 3mm in places

So, what do I do? Car drives well, nice and smooth but has failed on the above issues with a few serious advisories, too. I was advised previous owner had done the rear arms not that long ago so I’m surprised this has come up in the MOT.

The bodywork of the car is OK. There is a couple of small patches of rust. The biggest damage on the bodywork is on the passenger side rear where I caught a high curb and it has put a dent near the sill area so this ideally needs fixed and treated to prevent rust issues.

Ideally, timing belt needs doing as no history of timing belt being done on the car.

I also have three other 75s!

I called up Rimmers today. They don’t have the correct spec rear springs for my car apparently but have another genuine paid but I don’t know of which engine variant. The cost of this is £111 plus VAT and postage.
Front shock is about £95.
Plus wheel bearing, ball joints etc.
I can’t do the work myself and would have to get a garage to do it. I fear this will cost an arm and a leg.

Just looking for some advise as I really don’t know what to do!

Thanks.
It's about time you started to learn how to fix these Rav

I have a lilac white rear spring and an offside front damper and a nearside front hub if you want them.

Finally track rod end LINK

I bet Kev will be able to assist

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote