View Single Post
Old 7th January 2021, 04:06   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Item 2 is actually per item 1. OEM (Original Equipment Manufactured) would be items made for the production line and replacement network. When that line finishes it's production run then those parts left over will
go into the "spares" network and can still be legally referred to as OEM. A good honest supplier will also use the term NOS (New, Old Stock).

You will be correct in that the OEM stuff at Longbridge and held in the network will be long exhausted. Therefore suppliers should not now use the term OEM (unless it is NOS). If the original manufacturing supplier makes a new batch (with the necessary legal side correct) they could refer to it, and often do, as "manufactured to original specification". Occasionally they might refer to the batch as "better than OE". This will mean some changes have been made (which needs more space for explanations).

Other terms are "pattern" which was explained to me has having general outlines as the original but might be made from inferior materials.

Hmmmmm…..seems to me that asking questions of the supplier is good to do and I bet it will be 'most informative'.

cheers,

Kev

I did ask Rimmers about Genuine. The answer was a shock and to be honest, enraged me.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote