View Single Post
Old 18th January 2022, 19:05   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I read a piece that said very low mileage users doing less than 5K/year would be exempt.

Less than 5k per year? How would it be monitored? easy to disconnect a speedo, or alter mileage. Simple, no exemptions, everybody then pays for their impact of the environment. Uneconomical cars pollute more, (on average) and therefore pay more. Maintain your car, increase economy and pay less. Change to a more economical car, etc. Simply pay for the privilege of driving, you could own a car without having to pay tax on that ownership, then contribute to your share of the impact on the environment if you choose to drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post

Here's a thing! If London gets it's expansion to cover all of greater London what will happen to those petrol stations within that area if car traffic falls ?

The cars within the fringes of Greater London, will only fill with enough fuel to allow them to drive outside London to fill up, therefore wasting fuel, but the 'cheaper' fuel area will obviously be affected by the additional traffic this may cause, but its revenue should be covered.

This will lead to a 'natural' increase in fuel stations converting to electric supply, as more Londoners who drive within the Greater London area, switch to electric vehicles.

I would be more concerned how London will generate the additional revenue once the majority of vehicles have converted to electric (which I suspect will be shortly after the ban on new ICEs comes online). By then the air quality should have improved, however, those funds will be missed.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote