View Single Post
Old 30th November 2019, 08:32   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
With a properly maintained engine, I would avoid using a "flushing oil" as this has a viscosity close to tap water.
It has a lower viscosity than normal service engine oil yes, but that's a necessary feature of an oil designed to flush. Secondly, even though Thanos' engine might be "properly maintained" according to the manufacturer's schedule, in arduous conditions such as his occasional use of Flush Out contributes to a high standard of maintenance. To say that Comma Flush Out has a viscosity close to tap water is an inaccurate exaggeration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
It would need sacrificial oil changes to get rid of the contamination from it.
I have used Comma Flush Out on all my cars over several decades with no adverse effects whatsoever. On the contrary, I have found it to be highly beneficial. Over thirty years' ownership of my SD1 and 180,000 miles I have never had to undertake 'short' engine repairs. It's running on the original camshaft and hydraulic tappets. Any traces of flushing oil remaining after a treatment, which will be minor owing to its low viscosity, clearly do not constitute "contamination". I'm afraid that I don't recognise your rather dramatic claim at all.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 30th November 2019 at 08:55..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote