View Single Post
Old 4th April 2022, 09:05   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Yesterday's assessment in detail

It was a pleasure to meet Lida yesterday. We collected a wealth of evidence suggesting that the ex-MG Rover main dealer had simply filled the cooling system without following any of the official bleeding procedure thereby creating an airlock. The plan is that I will rectify that tomorrow.

In replacing the thermostat and plastic coolant pipes the dealer also failed to set the serrated clips correctly thereby setting the stage for a further coolant leak in future. I managed a partial improvement within the restricted access.

The new sound which Lida reported is a rattling power valve linkage in the manifold chamber. We are in the process of seeking a replacement.

Questions raised in previous posts

Suzublu; the fan is a 3 speeder and low speed is working correctly. I tested the VIS power valves actuator and it's also working.

Trikey; the fan didn't progress beyond low speed but it was running far more frequently than normal for an ambient temperature below 10˚C.
The tappets were not noisy.

T-Cut; the owner prefers to have the heating, ventilation and AC system turned off completely so fan operation was restricted to coolant temperature.

Simon