View Single Post
Old 4th April 2022, 15:35   #15
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
As an addendum to SD1too's post and mine of yesterday, I have now spoken to Kingsbury on the phone. I was told that one of the technicians would phone me back, and someone did - though not sure he is a tech. He seemed to have difficulty in understanding what I was saying to him, which is:

"I noted from mileage recorded that you did not road-test my Rover, and as the job involved a full refill of coolant I decided to check something myself. I tapped into the onboard Instrument Pack Diagnostics and was able to observe the actual coolant temperature in degrees Celsius whilst driving. Temp was erratic – for example, jumping rapidly from 97 to 101. It reached 106, which it should not do especially in this cold weather. I think there may well be an airlock in the cooling system. This happens when MG Rover procedure is not followed."

This is what I was told. I am paraphrasing. (I welcome your comments about what garage told me).

Garage: You have brand new thermostat, pump and pipework connected to other parts which are 18 yrs old, and there is a period of adjustment best achieved by using the car regularly.

Me: Parts are inanimate objects, they are not humans that need time to get used to something. I've never heard of such a thing. If that was so no one would have parts changed.

Garage: If your car was 5 years old then there is no stress on the old parts by the new ones, but your car is 18.

Me: I'm sorry, but I do not believe that. Why did she reach 106 temp? It suggests to me a stop-go circulation.

Garage: What do you mean 106 ....

Me: I told you right at the beginning of this call, that temp was erratic and reached a high temp it should not have. If we were in summer, it would have been higher than 106.

Garage: The cooling fan would come....

Me: I know that! I'm telling you 2 things and you're not listening!
The fan should not activate on such a short journey and with outside temperature being 7 C. What has caused the 106 C temp, do you know? There is a mandatory procedure when refilling the cooling system of a V6 from scratch. I think that is the bit that you missed out. To avoid air getting in, the expansion tank needs to be lifted up some 5 inches.
[/I]

Garage: That tank is fixed into the car.

Me: As far as I know, a strap retains that tank. Once unstrapped, the expansion tank can be lifted slightly.
=====================

That's the level of comprehension. The technician who worked on my car is back tomorrow. Apparently he spent 3 days on it, 5 hrs each day.

My plan is to phone again tomorrow and ask to speak to the actual chap who worked on the car. I am curious to find out whether he knows about the onboard diagnosis facility, which T-Cut has written about.

Please Please keep us informed, I love threads like this..

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote