View Single Post
Old 18th July 2019, 12:45   #27
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
I suppose since we all voted 3 years ago, and the positives AND negatives of leaving the EU has become much clearer, also a NO DEAL Brexit was never put forward as an option, then another vote should really be desired by both sides.

All of that being said if it ended up being another 52/48 to leave, then for me that would be the final decision.

But at least that would fully validate the original decision, made 3 years ago, with all the facts in the public domain.
The “No Deal” scenario WAS clearly outlined by the Remain supporters - it was clearly set out in the “Project Fear” leaflets that were delivered to every house in the U.K. at a cost to the taxpayer of many £millions!

The doom and gloom predictions became ever more strident and scary! And were based upon the very worst case scenarios.

Even now we see headlines from the Remain Camps saying things like we would be “4% poorer” with a no deal Brexit - but dig down into where that 4% negative comes from and you find that the reality is that it comes from a “projection” that suggests GDP growth by 2030 is currently estimated to be 27% - but a No Deal Brexit “could” reduce that to 23%!!

The reality is slowly seeping out to businesses and people - for example WTO tariffs would average out at about 4% - but the current net payments we make to the EU of circa £8bn to £10bn a year equates to about 7% of exports.

So to say that the No Deal scenario was never presented is false - it keeps getting rammed down our throats via “Project Fear”.

But the old adage is very true.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

People have seen the intransigence of the EU - even some those who voted Remain accept the vote result and are appalled at the antics of the EU negotiators - as well as ours!!