Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Hi all,

Just a quick one,

This weekend I'm planning to change my fuel filter on my 2.0 cdti.
Does anyone have any tips or do's and don'ts please?
I can see it's just a "simple" unscrew and screw the new one on. But I'm concerned about getting air into the system and it being a begger to restart.

Does the system self bleed? Or is it just a case of keep winding the engine over until it fires up?

Many thanks

Richard
Hi Richard.
You will need a couple of rags, to wrap round the fuel pipes that you unplug from the top of the fuel filter low pressure pump.

An 8mm ring spanner to undo the little bolt holding the clamp to the filter.

Unplug the wiring to the filter pump at the front, it can only fit in one way.

Once you have removed the pump & filter together use a large rag over the filter pump lid, then twist the filter off, watch out for spillage.

Before fitting the new filter add a little diesel to the O-rings on the filter line it up and spin it, once it's up to the top turn with hand only until you can no longer turn it.

Fit it back to the car reverse of removal, then ignition to II do not start the car, do this for about 30 seconds repeat three times, then on the fourth time start the car it should run smoothly, leave running for about 5 mins job done.

Another of my how to's that as been destroyed by PB.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=104654

PS Richard.

Here are some photo's you should be able to follow.

Low pressure filter pump on top of the fuel filter.

Remove the fuel line from the UBP if you have to the low pressure pump, wrap a rag round it.

Remove the other side of the fuel line going into the pump, again wrap a rag round the end.

Unplug the wiring from the pump.

Look down the right side of the filter with you standing by the front NS wing, you will see the 8mm bolt holding the clamp round the filter back this off, until you can extract the filter, again put a rag over the top to the filter holding a finger and your thumb over the inlet & outlet on the pump.

I usually take the filter to my vice hold it in upright & twist off the pump.

Add a dab of diesel from the old filter, to the new seals on the replacement filter

Hold the pump in your left hand & spin the new filter up tight then another nice turn to make sure its sealed.

Use some contact cleaner to spray inside the electric section on the pump.

Re-fit the low pressure pump/filter back on the car

As above turn ignition to II wait 30 seconds repeat three times, then start the car on the forth turn, leave running for about 5 minutes job done.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 1st November 2019 at 12:03..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote