View Single Post
Old 15th December 2019, 00:29   #11335
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Fitted a new ancillary belt idler pulley this morning.
1st - check I have the correct tool - new one has T50 bolt great lets crack on.
Go to take the old one off - T55. I have a T55 for a 1/4 wrench but no room to get that on...
Trot off to local tool shop, have to buy a new key set which costs £30 - more than the pulley, grr
Back home & take the pulley off - can just get the key on but then cant see what I'm doing, enough space to edge 1/3 of a turn each swing then try and get the key back in the hole. Miserable job takes ages and I'm swearing I'm giving up working on "modern" cars.
Dreading the replacement process. Belt is still surprisingly taut with pulley off.
Check old bearing - going to be really sad if my diagnosis was wrong - happily it wasn't.
Manage to get new one in place and thread started. Dread spending an age getting it done up. Cold & grumpy.
Light bulb moment! I have the old key set so now have two T50s. I have a ratchet spanner set. I have a dremel. 20 min later I have a T50 stub that fits in the 10mm ratchet :¬)
5 minutes later the job is done, the car runs like a sewing machine :¬)
I use a T55 or T50 socket with a ratcheting spanner slid over the shank to turn it.
Fits in that narrow space between the pulley and inner wing and works like a charm!

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 15th December 2019 at 00:46..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote