Thread: Insurance value
View Single Post
Old 18th September 2019, 14:26   #22
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
By write off, do you mean if they value it at (say) £200, and it needs £250 in parts after a prang? In other words, the slightest damage will write it off - e.g. a cracked bumper. In this case, I'd just have to take the £200 (less excess) and pay for the rest myself. Or, not bother claiming in the first place.

Until recently I had another car as well as the ZT, a young lady ignored the stop lines at a junction an crunched the front wing, broke the head light unit and scuffed the door but didn't dent it.

She wanted to go through the insurance so we did, they valued my Vaux at £2,000 but the cost of repairs was almost £1,500 once they added recovery and paint into the bag. The repair centre said it had to have a door and wing, light unit and grill ... they wrote it off so I kept the car and some money from the insurance and I repaired it myself for just £135, I had to have VOSA examine it afterwards but I just sold it on with no problems.

It used to be around two third the value of a car to write it off, it might have changed now though. So if your car was say £200 then anything over say £130 to fix is a write off.

Last edited by Vossy; 18th September 2019 at 14:29..
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote