View Single Post
Old 28th July 2015, 19:06   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznkel View Post
I think I already know the answer, but here goes!

Is there anything that can read ABS live data to enable me to diagnose which sensor cable or reluctor ring is faulty on my car please. My mates snap on gear at the garage cant read it. I am guessing T4 only?
What are your symptoms daznkel? I knocked up an extended lead so any sensor could be plugged into the OSF using the speedometer readout as a diagnostic a few years ago.

Works well with a duff sensor or damaged magnetic reluctor, but if the reluctor ring is only slightly damaged, or the air gap a tad too big between sensor and reluctor the reading is good at speed and only fails when the wheel is rotating very slowly, so doesn't show up on the speedometer.

If that is your problem then measure the voltage at the sensor as you slowly rotate the jacked up wheel - it should change between 0.7V and 1.7V as each segment is passed. Chalk the wheel when you don't get the correct voltage, and if it is in the same place every revolution then likely a reluctor problem.

On the rear wheels check for corrosion on the backplate - it can wear the magnetic reluctors away on the bearings.

This is a front hub being checked prior to fitting on the car. The chocblock in the extended cable saves pinning through the insulation of the sensor cable.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mike Noc; 28th July 2015 at 20:10..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote