View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:26   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The whole statement seems to have a lot of flaws:

1. How can exhaust gasses (that the Egr lets in to the manifold) be cooler than the intake air?

2."On TDIs, EGR valve should open to allow carbon dioxide, which acts as a cooling gas) into the combustion chambers when the engine is under load (>30% boost)."
The whole idea of the Egr is to recirculate some of the exhaust gasses that are more likely to have a higher concentration of unburned fuel.(If you've ever tried to open an egr, it takes a lot of vacumn!)
Eg. on the over-run or if you accelerate too harshly.(throttle opening more than engine can draw in)

3."This can cause the engine to run on its crankcase oil until it is either stalled or goes bang." Of course a engine runs on its crankcase oil what other oil would it use!!!!
Unless he means the oil from the failed turbo bearings entering the induction system and being burnt, but that wouldn't cause your engine to go bang.
If it was that bad then the engine wouldn't run as the ECU would find it difficult to cope.
The Police would have stopped you way before then, for the amount of smoke you would be pumping out of the exhaust. I've had major bearing falure on a turbo and believe me you'd know about it!

4. Exhaust gasses reaching a temperature that would lead to failure of the turbo bearings. What's he running his diesels on???

The only part of this statement I agree with is that, an egr that is stuck partially open will cause rough running of the engine.

Does this guy know what he's talking about? I doubt it.

Egr bypasses make the engine more efficiant by increasing the amount of air that is entering the engine. It won't cause any of the problems described above. If I thought it would have any detrimental effect I certainly wouldn't have fitted one!

Russ

Last edited by BigRuss; 3rd December 2007 at 14:31.. Reason: spelling
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote