View Single Post
Old 29th March 2018, 12:41   #9
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
A close relative, knowing my interest in cars saves the Motoring Section of the Daily Telegraph for me. Has done for years. Can be a good read. Gives a wide insight of the problems consumers have with their cars and car buying decisions. Honest John's replies to enquiries can be particularly interesting.

About twenty years ago, when Rover 600s were still being produced, someone asked him what is the best Rover 600 to buy. HJ recommended the Honda 2300 engined one as the best of the range. No mention of the two cars which were the best of the range, both having ROVER Turbocharged engines. Self-inflicted media brainwashing .. if it did not have a more serious side.

One Rover engine, the L-Series Diesel was good enough that the Honda Motor Company of Japan fitted it to their Diesel Accords.

Still a good read. I'm on HJ's mailing list and some of the content can be informative.

By the way, the BEST ROVER 600 was and still is the 620ti... with the Rover T-Series engine in turbocharged form...
No No No, the 620ti was by a long margin the worse of the bunch, the best was the 620i with the wonderfully reliable and torquey Honda engine, and for smoothness the 623 was best, SO LONG as you changed the oil regularly, AND made absolutely certain if buying second hand that there was as a FULL service history with regards oil changes. The 620ti was fast, but leaked oil from head gasket due to a known design fault.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote