View Single Post
Old 8th May 2019, 22:19   #124
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
I do know how the mini works you can weld the mk1 side panels to make it a mk1 as then you need the mk1 doors

Sent from my DUA-L22 using Tapatalk
Thomas, you will need more than side panels and doors to make it a mk1.

I do not believe that you will be able to keep the registration either on this car or use it on any other. The regulations may have changed since I last looked into it, which is now 25 years. To be able to keep the registration or put it onto retention, without an MOT, you needed to take the car to a TAX office to be verified (on a trailer). If it has since been scrapped, with or without the log book, it cannot be done. I believe those rules applied to both the DVLA and the DVLNI (the licensing authority jurisdiction I fell under).

As the car stands, it doesnt seem like you will be able to retain the original VIN plate either - have a read of THIS. Getting an age related plate will from what I can gather will be from the 1980's see HERE. If you have indeed scrapped the body of the mk1, you will get better value from working towards an 80's version, certainly financially. There are way too many discrepancies now to make it a saleable mk1.

There are some heritage shells, of course, but on the current rules, I am not sure you could meet the criteria to be able to call it a mk1

The 1961 plate is for a mk1 850 Mini and not a Cooper (I always thought the smallest capacity engine for a Cooper was 970cc )

Rebuilding the car, is one thing, trying to get it registered will be a complete nightmare for you by the sounds of things. At this stage, what might be a better option for you could be some form of a kit car.

I dont want to seem negative about all of this, for you will learn a lot by what you are doing, if you keep at it. But research it carefully first before spending money or time on something that may not be able to be a reality, because of legalities and red tape.

As others have said, do one at a time. Move all the others out of the way, and concentrate on only one. At least if you get one done, should it become necessary, you can sell it on to fund the next one.

One last thing, be careful you dont get so wrapped up in the cars that your studies, be it school, college or armed forces suffer for it. That should be your priority now.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote