View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 21:52   #128
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Default N

I’m currently helping a long time friend restore his 1957 oval VW Beetle. To get a period registration ( the car was exported to Hungary originally) he was visited by a vehicle engineer sent on behalf of DVLA. This man knew his way around this car.
Made checks on its originality, what panels he was repairing and/or replacing. Checked it’s “birth certificate” proving its manufacture date and and spec which he had previously applied for. He was happy with the restoration plan, parts being used and methods. It is now an official 1957 car with a period plate. He can if he chooses sell the car as a legitimate 1957 car. It’s not for sale but as a restored car it will be worth about £15,000.
He could well have modified it, lowered it and given it a fancy paint job. He’d be lucky to get 5k in that state, not forgetting a Q plate!
Originality is everything for those who follow these cars and many other cars and as I’ve tried to illustrate it makes a very significant difference in value. His budget to buy and restore is 12k. That’s a 3k profit IF he decides or needs to sell.
Spend a fortune on a heavily modified car and you could well spend much more than it’s going to be worth. Planning a restoration is vital.

Last edited by victorgte; 9th May 2019 at 21:55..
victorgte is offline   Reply With Quote