View Single Post
Old 5th March 2021, 21:07   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. Been reading and assimilating what is being said.
Let me give you my experience of when I believe belts should be changed.my background: anything mechanical to do with cars.
I bought my son’s Rover75 Connie SE at around 105,000 miles. I know when the three timing belts were changed because I took him to have them done around 28,000 miles in 2009, I have the receipt. They had never been changed from then. After doing a bit of fettling, as soon as it had been m.o.t’d, I took it to have the timing belts changed, slowly. I have those belts, and will keep them to show anyone who wants to see them what they look like, and their condition after 11 years and around 80,000 miles. After checking them over, I feel my son was a lucky man. Although at first glance they appear to be ok. If you then have a closer look, you can see that they are starting to be very weak if you twist them inside out. The teeth were still ok, but the actual carcass was past its best, so to say.
My advice for what it is worth, Change them now before you regret it. My son for the last4/5 years drove like a vicar. This car is an automatic. I believe if it had been a manual car, the belts would have gone a long time ago, by virtue of the different way a manual gearchange takes place. Having told you my story, it is up to you of course. You will only have yourself to blame if you risk it any longer, and in the long run it is cheaper.

Last edited by bl52krz; 5th March 2021 at 21:21..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote