View Single Post
Old 11th January 2021, 20:08   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick91 View Post
Hi all,

I bought this car a month or so ago and I've fallen in love! Well for the most part, having taken her in for something unrelated, it turns out that both the thermostat is sticking and the radiator cooling fan is faulty. Unfortunately I didn't realise as the dash needle was looking fine temp wise (I assume because the thermostat is sticking) and the fan was kicking in but only on a low speed. Thank God for the cold weather.

The issues are being sorted out, I just wondered what the general consensus was on whether this might have caused any lasting damage? Unfortunately I don't know when the issue first occurred but I assume it was before my ownership of the car.

Would I be looking at future HGF? I know that this is blissfully uncommon on this car.

Thanks,
Nick.

Bought my present V6 as spares or repair following a series of garage failures to solve the overheating problem. Thermostat replaced, fan replaced etc and after each repair they told the owner "it's fixed" it wasn't. When they then said it must be the headgaskets he gave up and sold me the car as spares (belts 2 years old).
The car overheated on it's way back to my garage twice, towed it the last bit home. It overheated despite a working fan and outside temperature of minus 12c.
Next day it was running as it should, cause: a very stubborn airlock.
Your car should be fine, lots of owners don't even know how to test the fan, the V6 hasn't got the reputation of the 1.8

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote