View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 09:05   #3
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

As long as your soundbar is ARC compatible it should be fine to use it to send the audio signal back from the Tv, you will need to ensure that HDMI control is set to on with your new Tv... However using Arc can be problematic in some cases and can cause issues that may not seem related to the soundbar.

I do suspect that your all in one surround system isn't Arc compatible as most of these don't tend to be and that the Hdmi port is output only!

Check to see if your system has an optical port as they just work with no issues or if it only has an Aux in you can buy a relatively inexpensive Dac that will convert the digital PCM signal from your TV's opt out and convert to 2 channel stereo.

Quote:
Seems I'm stuck with the toslink because tv has no phono or earphone socket. He said best way is HDMI using the arc outlet on the tv. Dunno how this helps but it's a bit of a job for me to get my head around it all.
Optical (Toslink) is fine and is able to send a compressed 5.1 surround signal or uncompressed 2 channel audio which will be the vast majority of programs transmitted but even if the signal is compressed it is very unlikely that you would be able to hear the difference. The advantage using the opt channel is that it 'just works' and everything on screen including the smart services will be transmitted.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 18th October 2018 at 09:13..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote