Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2019, 15:25   #13
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default More slow progress. Getting there though.

Making a start to remove the Sump on my "project" ZT-T 1.8T to facilitate fitting Cylinder Liner Shims. The large Tie Bar lower engine mount was in the way of a few of the various 10mm Bolts. It has four 15mm Bolts. Three came undone and removed easily. The fourth not so. Easily started and I used a flat socket drive spanner to quickly undo it. Bad move. There was not enough clearance and my ratchet spanner was held solid. I could only undo it which would make it held firmer with the limited clearance. I know, loosen the three bi-hex 14mm Bolts which fasten the off-side drive shaft sufficiently to allow the shaft to be moved away allowing removal of the final bolt. Close run thing. It worked without complete removal of the the three bi-hex 14mm bolts.

Clearly someone obviously had been at some of these bolts before. Two Engine to Gearbox bolts were missing. The middle bolt of the three holding the driveshaft support was not the OE bi-hex 14mm jobbie, but a plane six-flat 10mm Hex-head.

Soon had the sump removed. Gave it a severe clean later. One of the two threaded holes used when the long since removed in previous ownership Exhaust Bracket is bolted to the Sump, has a sheered off bolt remains inside. Flush so will be difficult for me to remove even with carefully applied heat.

The Oil Scavenge Pick Up Tube and Oil Rail will be removed later. Then I can tackle the Big Ends.

All the fourteen 10mm Sump Bolts ( Two long and twelve shorter lengths ) came undone with minimal effort. It was not necessary to lower the Exhaust Pipe to remove the Sump. It came away with a light tap with the Club Hammer and by holding it at a steep angle, ample clearance from the Exhaust Pipe so easily removed.

Removed the Oil Pick Up and Oil Rail from the underside of the engine. Just four 8mm Bolts to remove and gave the bottom of the engine and the removed components a clean up.

These images show the lower engine after removal and the cleaned up parts.

I can now access the bi-hex BIG-END Nuts and Bolts prior to extracting the Cylinder Liners. That will now be after Christmas.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (45.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.jpg (38.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (39.1 KB, 131 views)
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote