View Single Post
Old 26th July 2018, 19:59   #142
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
However all 50 leaking sets went in the bin because I didn't want to risk running a "Simon" experiment on customers cars to see how many "might" survive long term!
That’s a very significant statement. It demonstrates perfectly how the decisions made by traders for reasons of commercial success are the opposite of what is required for scientific analysis of the real problem. The incorrect conclusion reached is that new parts are required. This keeps you profitable and satisfies the non-technically minded customer.
Quote:
And might I suggest the original elbow piece you cracked and the 2nd one you didn't is simply down to the 2nd one being in situ for far less time (am I correct?)..
The original elbow was ten years old. Its replacement is currently nine years old. I wouldn’t call that “far less time”.
Quote:
... and the O ring was probably still looking ok too
(am I right again)
At the time of breakage of the original elbow I, like you, believed that the problem was with the plastic. i replaced only the ‘O’ ring at the base of the thermostat housing. Upon reassembly, there were no leaks for three years. What do you conclude from that?
Quote:
MGR used different compound O rings just like they did in the M47 stat.
Another unsubstantiated claim! What’s your evidence for that?
Quote:
To date we've not seen any melted KV6 O rings except the Chinese batch our well known independent trader on here sold.
Well there you are; proof that your M47 theory (unsubstantiated) cannot be applied to the KV6.
Quote:
However the more photos I come up with the weaker some of your theories become. 🤣
I don’t know where you get that idea. You certainly post a lot of photos but your analysis is based upon assumptions, wild guesses and unsubstantiated belief.

Simon