View Single Post
Old 25th August 2021, 19:44   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Brake pipe MOT failure.

No not on my 75

My 1998 200 coupe went for it's MOT this morning and they said the O/S rear metal brake pipe failed while being tested.

Now I know brake pipes do require replacement in time BUT,they said it failed and leaked brake fluid while being tested on the rollers,and that it happens all the time on 'Old cars' while under test.The pedal just went down according to them.They said it's a much sterner test on the rollers than normal braking on the road.

I've owned the car since it was under a year old,it's always been garaged and a weekend only car.And it has never before now had any brake pipes replaced.So the brake pipes haven't had a hard life year after year in harsh winter weather.

I have used this garage for MOT's on all three of my cars for several years and trust them as much as you can trust any garage, but I wasn't aware this is apparently a common occurence.

What are your thoughts please.Do brake pipes on old cars regularly fail while being MOT'd? If it is the case then surely some of early 75/ZT's will be experiencing the same

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote