Thread: gates belts
View Single Post
Old 15th December 2021, 11:14   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Shelf life, service life and a warranty period are three separate things.

Shelf life is 8 years.
Service life is 6 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.
Warranty is 2 years and 60,000 miles, whichever comes soonest.

That doesn't give 18-20 years.

Therefore, the manufacturer of the belts, and the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, does not agree with the above claim.

I think you will find that the in-service life of most belts is around 10+ years.

The MGR recommended replacement interval for the belt kit is 6 years, which is not the same as its likely service life. The car manufacturer has to be conservative in setting the service schedule.

Just to be clear - I am not suggesting that belts should not be changed for 20 years. It is statistically possible that a belt may only last one year. Equally, one may last 20 years. Each person has to decide their approach to risk. I used to have the belts on my V6 Omega changed religiously every 6 years. The current kit has been on 7 years but it will not be replaced. If the worst should happen the car will just get towed to the nearest scrappy as it is now 22 years old and I am intending to retire it at 23.

Last edited by MSS; 15th December 2021 at 11:38..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote