Thread: End caps
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2022, 09:58   #10
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

When Simon was very helpfully giving me a hand last year with sorting out the thermostat situation which included replacement of the camshafts because the ends had broken off. The reason for that was that the instructions with the Laser Tool timing kit was wrong in that they stated that the tools were ok for a KV6 180 which was not the case. The camshafts for the 180 are the same as the 190 so you need the adapters for the 190. They were not available at the time so I modified the 2.0lt horsesho, following advice on here, and with that the timing was properly adjusted in about 10 minutes. I drew that to Laser Tools attention but they insisted that their tools and the instructions were correct. A letter to the Managing Director was ignored. Laser tools should really pay for the broken camshafts!

So far as the clamp is concerned I believe it was a Draper F Clamp 500x120mm I purchased it from toolstationx part number 28859. It was about £12 but I see it has increased in price like everything at the moment to £14.69.

It is easier to use if you remove the sprocket covers. If you are doing a cam belt change they will already be off. You may need a piece of wood between the moving part of the clamp and the sprocket. It is much easier if you have an assistant like Simon holding or guiding the fixed clamp end on the cap so that it goes in square. Once you get the hang of it is quite simple and saves so much time and ensures the cap is fitted correctly and will not leak.

Good luck
Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote