View Single Post
Old 18th April 2018, 09:19   #64
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Good morning Gary,

I have placed my pulley horizontally in the vice and inserted the special tool into the large hexagonal recess and pushed! There is absolutely zero movement between the outer and inner parts of the pulley.

Inspecting the rubber ring on both sides it has light crazing on its surface, very impressive after 19 years' service I'd suggest. It has no cracks, no evidence of separation from the cast iron parts and no shredding.

I absolutely agree with you that the factory notch is in the wrong place but how did it get there?
  • Rotation of the outer part relative to the inner? No obvious evidence of damage caused by this.
  • Manufacturing error? How would this have not been noticed during assembly and alignment?

I guess that replacement is probably a wise choice but I never like to do that unless I understand why I am doing it!

Simon
If its not moving with a decent length of lever and force then it probably wont move, perhaps good for another few years, and at least you have tested it to an extent, perhaps its a heat related thing allowing it to creep over time. If nothing else at least you know the timing mark for the moment, and when you come to replace in some more years time you might need to ignore that mark

In future I'll be keeping my eye on this type of event for all the k engine types, as its a good case history and lesson learned.

Last edited by Lovel; 18th April 2018 at 09:23..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote