View Single Post
Old 6th March 2019, 20:59   #37
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It appears that we may have both missed each others' point. In my view, it is poor form for an 'enthusiast' to use the term eurobox. My list of cars was intended to demonstrate that the cars we admire so much cannot come anywhere close to some of the cars that a subset of the members here would describe as 'euroboxes'. At the end of the day, majority of the car owners consider the cars that we admire to be undesirable bangers but we consider people with such views to be ignorant. It could be argued that to speak of euroboxes with similar tones is no different. Especially, as some of us have aspirations beyond our MGR cars in the direction of these 'euroboxes' whilst others already own them.

My use of the word "enthusiast" was with a large degree of intended sarcasm. Hence the part of the same paragraph which read "In my view a car enthusiast will always be able to appreciate cars beyond their ownership".

Perhaps my messages were too subtle?
I think I see your point but surely ... an 'enthusiast' is someone who appreciates a certain kind of car for personal reasons that only they can justify! if the car in question is not to his liking in any way they label it a Eurobox or anything else they like the sound of to justify the negative impression it gives.
It's not necessarily a negative term, more of a pigeon hole kind of statement.
We as consumers are all entitled to voice our opinions and indeed show 'poor form' if it makes the 'subset' of us comfortable labelling a non descript grey CAD car as a 'Eurobox' . it could have been called a lot worse, I think Eurobox is being kind to some of the cars I've seen churned out in the last decade.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote