View Single Post
Old 12th October 2020, 18:57   #3
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have never seen this happen? I do however know that the seams where the two rear quarter panels join the boot area can leak water in (took me over a year to find this out!) try captain Tolleys along theses and see if that helps.
Hi Trikey, thanks for the reply.

I'm 99% certain the water is being drawn up and over the body flange, specifically close to where the lock latch assembly is fitted into the body. The rest of the boot is dry, the rear window screen clips are sealed, as are the waist rail securing fastenings, boot hinge mounting bolts, both low level side vents, the body seams above the rear light units and Capt. Tolleys applied to the seams at either side of the boot aperture, below the bottom corners of the rear screen, the area which has a reputation of being poorly sealed in the Mk II cars and new rear light gaskets fitted to both rear light units.

During heavy rain this afternoon close inspection of all the usual leak points show them to be dry (I should explain that all the liners etc. have been removed so that all areas of the boot can be inspected) the only area showing signs of leakage is the area where the lock latch is fitted into the body.
Yesterday when it was dry I poured water, with the boot open, onto the rear screen and the only place it entered the boot was from under the seal where it runs along the lower edge of the boot aperture.

My next action will be to remove the seal completely, open the boot and pour water over the rear screen to see if any of it enters the interior from the area previously identified, if it does not, then, to quote Sherlock Holmes, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." and the water must be entering via capillary action through the seal.

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote