View Single Post
Old 14th October 2020, 17:14   #6
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Have you tried cleaning out the gap between the bodywork and the bumper where the two meet at the bottom lip of the boot aperture? I've had a similar issue with mine - ended up being the seal fitted the wrong way round. Water should run down the aperture surround and then down the gap between the bumper and bodywork. If that's got gummed up with leaf and road debris, then the water's going to pool there and then capillary action will get to work. Also, if the bumper's been nudged in slightly, then the gap could be a bit tight. It's worth a look.

Alternatively, you could pipe in a bead of silicone sealant along the aperture lip prior to refitting the seal.
The gap between the body and the bumper seems OK, pouring water so it flows along the gully on top of the wing, then runs down the vertical surface adjacent to the rear light clusters and from there through the gap and eventually runs out from underneath, so it drains OK, except water 'wicks' along the seal / body flange joint and eventually enters the boot interior close to where the lock latch is fitted into the body.
I think the long term solution may be, as you suggest, to seal the flange / seal joint face,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote